From the Desk of April Schiff
Hillsborough State Committeewoman
Newsletter, Volume 1, Issue 2
As your Hillsborough Republican State Committeewoman, I have enjoyed and appreciated the past several months as I’ve travelled around Hillsborough County meeting new people and catching up with friends. I’m very encouraged by the outpouring of support for my efforts and the ever-increasing number of people willing to help get Hillsborough County back to Growing & Winning!
Hillsborough Republican Executive Committee (REC)
Take action! Join the REC!! The Hillsborough REC membership is designed to be multiple people from each precinct in Hillsborough County who volunteer as party leaders; there are currently openings in many precincts for new members. We need you to join the REC so we can continue to grow our party and work to win elections!
More information here: https://www.hillsborough.gop/join_the_rec
The Hillsborough REC currently meets on the second Thursday of each month, at The Loft Event Lounge, 917 E. Brandon Blvd., Brandon, FL at 6:30 p.m. Please attend an upcoming meeting as our guest.
Republican Party of Florida – April Quarterly Meeting
The Lake County Republican Party hosted the RPOF quarterly meeting held at the beautiful Mission Inn Resort at Howey-in-the-Hills April 29th through May 1st.
The beautiful grounds, great restaurants and two world famous golf courses made for a very pleasant stay. Some attendees participated in a rousing Golf Scramble to kick start their weekend while others visited with friends and colleagues and all enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and delicious food.
This meeting was a solid learning experience and some of the highlights are:
- Breakfast on Saturday morning featured Corey DeAngelis, an Adjunct Scholar at the Cato Institute’s Center for Educational Freedom and the director of school choice at the Reason Foundation, speaking on Education Freedom, School Choice & Messaging on Education. Mr. DeAngelis provided each of us with his book, School Choice Myths, Setting the Record Straight on Education Freedom. School choice provides better educational opportunities to all our students and paves the way to many good things including less juvenile arrests and detention, less teen pregnancy, and future success.
- Voter Registration in Florida is a top priority for RPOF and a rather comprehensive training was offered, and a second training class was provided on fundraising.
- The State Committeemen, State Committeewomen and Chairman’s caucuses had a joint meeting with a strong panel discussion of how to vet candidates. Takeaways are candidates should be presentable, knowledgeable, articulate and have enough charisma to raise money and get their message out. Each Republican Executive Committee should cultivate candidates and assist them in winning campaigns.
- To close out the weekend, the Lake County Republican Executive Committee hosted a wonderful social at JB Boondocks on Little Lake Harris, which is a fantastic restaurant in a quaint old Florida setting owned by the parents of State Representative Anthony Sabatini.
H.R.1 – Comments from National Committeeman Peter Feaman
This is extremely important – the Democrats in Congress have proposed a dangerous and destructive bill that would destroy electoral process in our country. The bill is known as H.R.1 and National Committeeman Peter Feaman outlined what we need to know about H.R.1 and actions we need to take. Here is Mr. Feaman’s summary of important points:
H.R.1 would “nationalize” every election because every state would have to follow “national rules.”
Here are some of the “national” election rules contained in the bill:
1. Every state would have to allow “ballet harvesting.” What is ballot harvesting (better described as “ballot trafficking”)? It permits political operatives to collect voters’ ballots and drop them off “en masse” to polling stations. Imagine the potential for fraud there.
2. Illegal immigrants would be counted as residents.
3. Felons are given the right to vote the moment they leave prison.
4. All states would have to adopt same day voter registration – meaning you can walk into a polling place if you are not registered, register to vote and then vote right then and there. Imagine the potential for fraud there.
5. All states would have to adopt motor voter registration.
6. Mail-in ballots would have to be mailed to every registered voter – whether they asked for one or not.
7. The FEC (Federal Election Commission) would be a partisan five-member organization under the control of the White House! Not the Bipartisan Board it is today.
To fight this you must get involved! Go to www.Protectthevote.com
As your State Committeewoman, I am asking you to join in fighting against this terrible proposed legislation by writing Members of Congress and U.S. Senators and voicing your opposition!
As of March 31, 2021the State of Florida has 104,721 more registered Democrats than Republicans. Hillsborough County has 70,137 more registered Democrats than Republicans. To get Hillsborough County back to growing and winning we need to “Close the Gap!” The Hillsborough Leadership Policy Council is starting a voter registration drive in Hillsborough County, and you can help by signing up here https://hillsboroughleadershipcouncil.com/join/
Let’s get Hillsborough County back to Growing & Winning!
Around the County
As your Hillsborough State Committeewoman I have had the honor of speaking at multiple local clubs including Greater Brandon Republican Club, Alafia Republican Club, Tampa Republican Women Federated, South Tampa Republican Club, and the Valencia Lakes Conservative Club. Everywhere I go, I meet many people eager to get involved to help Hillsborough County get back to Growing & Winning! The energy and enthusiasm is very exciting. I’ve also provided insight on Florida This Week and in a recent Bay New 9 interview. The Hillsborough County Presidents’ Council is a group of Republican Clubs who have united to bring informative and energizing events to constituents and members. Recently the group hosted Nick Adams at the Carrollwood Country Club. Mr. Adams immigrated to the United States from Australia and loves the privilege of being an American citizen and is a true patriot having been appointed by President Trump to multiple positions and serving as a surrogate during the Trump Campaign. Watch for more exciting events from the Presidents’ Council, sign up for my email list https://aprilschiff.com/contact/
United States Senator Marco Rubio hosted a Town Hall Meeting in historic Ybor City where many local leaders, military veterans, first responders and activists had the opportunity to participate in a meaningful and informative conversation. I enjoyed attending and hearing from our U.S. Senator who is fighting for all of us every day.
Need a Break from Politics? - Cook Something Delicious!
Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 c. butter softened 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 c. white sugar ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 c brown sugar packed 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs 2 c. chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, stir in vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by large spoonful onto ungreased pans
- Bake for about 10 minutes until edges are nicely browned.
Thank you very much for all you do for our community. I truly look forward to seeing you as we work together to get Hillsborough County back to Growing & Winning!
If I can be of assistance to you in any way, please contact me.